Thursday 1 October 2009

The Secret Place

Some people have plenty of time to devote to their relationship with God through prayer, silence, contemplation, Bible reading and study. In years gone by some people even devoted their lives to this type of devotion. They were called monks. They generally lived isolated lives away from the hustle and bustle of normal life. I have grown to really love the times I get to be still, quiet, prayerful and reflective in my devotion to God. But I am also learning to adopt this attitude during the everyday busy-ness of life. This is becoming my "secret place".
Psalm 91:1He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.

I find in the Gospels (the first 4 books of the New Testament), particularly the Gospel of Luke that Jesus was a man of activity. Yet He was also a man of "the secret place". We read that even during the busy times- those times when He was crowded with many needs and needy people that He was quiet, restful, prayer to His Father.
Luke 9:18Now it happened that as he was praying alone, the disciples were with him. And he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?

You may not get extended periods of time to be alone and quiet so that you can read God's Word and pray. But you can learn to enter into the secret place with God in prayer and stillness.
Psalm 27:5 For in the time of trouble
He shall hide me in His pavilion;
In the secret place of His tabernacle
He shall hide me;
He shall set me high upon a rock.

So the next time you feel swamped by the busy-ness of life you can go into the secret place that you and God share. It's that place where you pray. It's that place where you ask God to speak to you. It's that place where you open yourself to God to have Him prompt His Word for the moment into your soul. It's that place where you confess tot he Lord that you need Him.
Psalm 81:7 You called in trouble, and I delivered you;
I answered you in the secret place

No comments:

Post a Comment