Thursday 10 September 2009

What Is A "Just War"?

Is there such a thing as a "Just War"? Can military conflict be thought of as advancing the Cause of Christ? Should Christians serve in the Armed Forces?...

Former Whitehouse Deputy Secretary of State (and Christian), Richard Armitage, has described the "Coalition of the Willing" (including the armed forces of the USA, UK, and Australia) as doing the "Lord's work" in their military campaign in Iraq. But does God really sanction war? Is there really ever such a thing as a "Just War"?

I am presenting this as a Pacifist. I do not come from a military family. I do not agree with war. I have never seen "action". I have never served in the military. But, I am an amateur war historian, and I have throughout my pastoral career pastored soldiers, airmen, and naval personnel. I have publicly and consistently denounced our invasion in Iraq even before the Americans proposed it. Therefore, I stand open to the accusation of bias when it comes to the issue of "Just War" - but it is a declared bias that the reader should factor into their own opinion about this vital topic.

There never was a good war, or a bad peace.
Benjamin Franklin

Read the full article

No comments:

Post a Comment